A Gentle Introduction to Text Mining Online
Trying to figure out how one event fits within the larger picture? Want to find patterns across hundreds or thousands of texts? Unlock the power of studying text on a large scale through this beginner-friendly introduction to text mining. In this workshop, we’ll provide an overview of analytical techniques, identify datasets that you can use for your research, and play with easy-to-use tools for understanding linguistic patterns in text. No prior experience needed!
- Friday, September 29, 2023
- 3:00pm - 3:50pm
- Time Zone:
- Central Time - US & Canada (change)
- Mary Ton, Digital Humanities Librarian and Jess Hagman, Social Sciences Research Librarian and Cadence Cordell
- Main Library 220
- Main Library
HYBRID SESSION: THIS SESSION WILL BE TAUGHT IN-PERSON (220 MAIN LIBRARY) AND ON ZOOM (YOUR REGISTRATION + REMINDER EMAILS WILL INCLUDE THE LINK).
- Directions to Room 220, Main Library:
- Take the north stairwell (Armory and Wright Street entrance) to the 2nd floor of the Main Library and make a left at the top of the stairs.
- Alternatively, take the elevator located next to the University Archives office (near the Wright St. entrance). When you arrive on the 2nd floor, room 220 is on your immediate left. If you have trouble finding it, please ask the Info Desk located at the center of the 1st floor or either of the service desks in The Orange Room.
- ADA Accessibility Map of the Main Library
- Google Maps directions to the Main Library
If you are attending this session ONLINE via ZOOM:
- In order to attend online workshops, you will need a NetID assigned to you from UIUC and you will need to login to your Zoom account to "activate" it.
- This session will be recorded for sharing widely with the campus community. If you do not want to be part of the recording, please attend this workshop in-person in 220 Main Library.
NOTE: Registration closes two hours before each scheduled workshop and you will receive a registration + reminder email (one hour before the session is scheduled to start) with the Zoom link and passcode. Make sure to check your spam/trash!